For those of you who don't know PANTONE®, they are the "world-renowned authority on color and provider of color systems and leading technology for the selection and accurate communication of color across a variety of industries". Wow, that's a mouthful! In layman terms, they basically provide the color systems for graphic arts, fashion, home, interior, plastics, architectural, paint, industrial design and consumer markets to provide consistent color matching.
Every year they choose a unique color to serve as thematic inspiration...and this year they chose “Ultra Violet” – Pantone 18-3838. Coined as "a dramatically provocative and thoughtful shade of purple...it communicates originality, ingenuity, and visionary thinking that points us toward the future”.
When taking into consideration color theory, and color psychology Purple is associated with royalty. It symbolizes power, nobility, luxury, and ambition. It conveys wealth and extravagance, opulance. Purple is associated with wisdom, dignity, independence, creativity, mystery, and magic.
Alot of visuals come to mind when I think of purple...
- The gone-but-not-forgotten Prince, and his beautiful ballad, Purple Rain
- Monster.com's ubiquitous logo and branding
- Healing crystals including Amethyst, said to bring calmness and clarity
- Vincent Van Gogh's Irises painting
- Orchids, tulips, and passion flowers all found in nature, and my personal favorite So Cal Jacaranda tree
- Willy Wonka's velvet suit
- Let's not forget the cheshire cat
- Wizardry and magic
What comes to mind when you think about the color purple? Leave your comments below.